Home Automation

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Tue Feb 20 17:10:42 MST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 10:13:46AM -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> > In standard def land component is the best. As for signals on a single
> > wire, composite is the only one guilty of this. S-Video is better than
> > composite because it is multiple wires in one cable, and component
> > better still because it's one wire per cable (three cables). These are
> > all analog.
>
> So by this reasoning, the UTP wire we run our networks on is bad
> because there are multiple wires in one?  No, this can actually be a
> good thing.  Here's how the analog signal systems break down:

I never said that, FYI. I was restricting my points to A/V wiring, much
less excluding DVI (which is clearly in this class). I was not
speculating on general wiring and signals (of which I have almost no
knowledge).

> Component: 3 separate coax cables with RCA jacks.  Separates the video
> signal into Y, Pb, and Pr components.  Y is again luminance, and Pb
> and Pr are the differenece between luminance and blue chrominance and
> the difference between luminance and red chrominance, respectively.
> This is the minimum necessary cabling for HD, and it supports up to
> 1080p.  A good component cable run can easily go 200ft without losing
> significant signal quality.

I'll admit, I've never seen component used for anything more than 480p.
I've always seen HDMI/DVI as the choice for high end connections. Learn
something new every day.

> These cables have a much shorter range, which depends somewhat upon
> the signal that you're passing through them.  A higher-frequency
> signal will degrade faster than a low-frequency signal.  A site I
> found (http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html) mentioned
> significant signal degradation at 12 meters on a DVI cable.

So it's better than, but similar to VGA. Kind of what I expected. Didn't
know that component did quite so well.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net