How to store a petabyte?

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Tue Feb 20 17:03:52 MST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:47:08 -0700, "Ryan Byrd" <ryanbyrd at gmail.com>
said:
> Let's say I need to store a petabyte of data. I need fast access
> (tape/DVDs
> aren't fast enough) and redundancy like RAID.
>
> How should I do it? Initially the data will be in large (several MB)
> binary
> objects and could be stored as files, but eventually, it will need to be
> placed into a relational database like Oracle.

You're screwed.

Oracle *can* handle petabytes of data but I bet it would be cheaper to
clone BigTable than to fork over the kind of cash Oracle would demand.
Unfortunately, Hbase doesn't look to be very far along so you'd pretty
much be on your own.

(Of course BigTable isn't relational... but it scales a hell of a lot
better for what it does.)

-Jonathan