Grabbing stuff off a nearly dead hard drive.

Adam Findley adam at cs.byu.edu
Tue Feb 20 16:20:38 MST 2007

So as far as I can tell my laptop has a dead sector (it appears to be a
hardware error).   I can't mount the partition in Knoppix. This is the
error I get:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x4 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=52436302,
high=3, low=2104654, sector=52436302

So obviously I have a problem with sector 52436302.  I'd like to be able
to restore some of my stuff (it's not too critical) before I send the
drive off for RMA.

Anyone know how to dd my drive avoiding just that sector?

Thanks,
Adam