UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Tue Feb 20 13:39:21 MST 2007

Levi Pearson wrote:
> Technically, the distinction that a University has is that it grants
> post-graduate degrees.  'Theory' doesn't come into the picture,
> especially at the undergraduate level.  Thus we have schools like MIT,
> which has an excellent CS program, but strives to be grounded in
> practical applications.  Theory is taught in order to enable students
> to better create things.  Other universities will focus more on
> theory, depending on the particular interests of the faculty and the
> vision of the department.

When you say that MIT's CS program is grounded in practical
applications, are you referring specifically to the fact that a student
can complete the MIT CS program without coding anything except Lisp?
Because that's what came to my mind. Grounded in practical applications?
I don't think so. Valuable? Absolutely.

--Dave