UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Tue Feb 20 12:09:55 MST 2007

> So, the people you talked to got exactly what they wanted out of the
> program there?  Sounds like an endorsement to me.  The CNS programs
> are now fairly flexible, and you can avoid scary-looking theory
> courses if you want, or you can take lots of them, as I'm doing.
> Perhaps things were not quite so flexible 5 years ago.  Anyway, the
> classes are not as theory-heavy as the BYU ones I took, but the
> information is there for the student who wants a solid foundation in
> theory to take in, and the programming projects generally reinforce
> understanding of it.  I find that it's a pretty good balance, though I
> would prefer more theory.  It's nothing to sneer at, anyway.

It's not an endorsement, unless it's an endorsement of the fact that
people no longer understand the difference between a trade school and a
University.  I never faulted the people for getting what they want,
anyway.  I just said it was a waste of money (i.e. I consider it a waste
of money, not the people who got what they wanted).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's gotten better.  I will no longer
think so poorly of UVSC.  Oh, and for the sake of understanding, I never
said BYU was great.  This thread is the first I've heard of people
lauding their CS program.  I just said the point of University was to
learn theory.  If BYU better fits that goal, then I think their program
is superior.  Going to University to learn coding would be like going to
University to learn carpentry instead of architecture.  Sure, you could
do it, but you'd be better off going to a trade school or teaching
yourself.

Greg