Home Automation

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 11:37:12 MST 2007

On 2/20/07, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Here's what I've always wanted to try: fill the walls with empty PVC
> pipes, so you can later run different cables without breaking walls.
> Today you might want gigabit ethernet, but tomorrow you might want fiber
>   instead.  To run a new cable, put a string into the wall at one end
> and suck the string from the other end with a vacuum hose.  Use the
> string to pull a small wire, then use the wire to pull your cable.

When I installed home theatre systems (and other stuff), we had what
we called fishing poles to help out with this.  They were just long,
thin pieces of fiberglass that could be screwed together at the ends,
plus different attachments (a magnet, a little loop of wire, etc.)
that could be put on the end.  Then you'd attach your wire to the
pole, and push the pole through the wall.  If they'd had PVC pipes or
the conduits that have been mentioned elsewhere, it would have been
about ten times easier to do our job.

In short - put in the conduits, and make a friend who installs cable
and home theatre systems, 'cause they'll have those long fiberglass
thingies and might let you borrow them when you need 'em =)

Dan