UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

C. Ed Felt ed at thefelts.net
Tue Feb 20 11:00:22 MST 2007

   Levi Pearson wrote:

"Hill, Greg" [1]<grhill at corp.untd.com> writes:

Maybe things have changed; I was basing this on what everyone I've known
who went to UVSC told me.  Also, my wife is taking Multimedia there
right now, and pretty much all she has learned is how to use the tools
to create multimedia.  Nothing yet about design theory or colors or
fonts, etc, etc.  Which is fine, since that's what she wanted.  The same
goes for people I know who took CS there.  They wanted to learn to code;
they didn't care about theory.  So, maybe it's presumptuous, but it's
based on a lot of examples.  Anyway, if it's changed, then I will alter
my statement to say "UVSC as it was 5 years ago".

So, the people you talked to got exactly what they wanted out of the
program there?  Sounds like an endorsement to me.  The CNS programs
are now fairly flexible, and you can avoid scary-looking theory
courses if you want, or you can take lots of them, as I'm doing.
Perhaps things were not quite so flexible 5 years ago.  Anyway, the
classes are not as theory-heavy as the BYU ones I took, but the
information is there for the student who wants a solid foundation in
theory to take in, and the programming projects generally reinforce
understanding of it.  I find that it's a pretty good balance, though I
would prefer more theory.  It's nothing to sneer at, anyway.

                --Levi

/*
PLUG: [2]http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net
Don't fear the penguin.
*/

   I remember spending a great deal of time studying theory at UVSC.  I
   actually started in BYUs CNS program, got half way through, found I
   needed to go to night school so I could afford my growing family, and
   changed to UVSC.  I can't speak for 5 years ago, because I just
   graduated a year ago.  I found UVSC to still have plenty of theory
   compared to BYU, but specialty focused theory.  My BYU graduate
   co-workers tend to know far less about database and network theory
   than I do, (my degree is CS with a Networking emphasis).  Because of
   UVSCs specialty CS degrees, most students graduate with better job
   offers than BYU students (that's a proven statistic by the way).  Of
   course, it probably helps that I minored in Mathematics (AS), as far
   as understanding programming theory and algorithms goes.  Still I do
   see the point that there is a greater opportunity to avoid theory
   classes if you want to at UVSC.  This will probably continue to change
   as UVSC eventually becomes a university.  I don't mean to sound like a
   commercial for UVSC, there are pros and cons to both UVSC and BYU.

   --

   Thank You,

   C. Ed Felt