Home Automation

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Feb 20 10:41:21 MST 2007

Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> writes:

> I'm not much of a home-wiring expert myself. However, when my parents
> built their most recent home a few years back, they had the builder
> install stiff, plastic conduit throughout the house. It all runs back
> to a box in the basement. This makes running any kind of cable easy. I
> wired them for Ethernet, and put their DSL modem and switch in the
> basement. It was great. They have 3 rooms wired now, and it was
> trivial to slip the cat-5e cable through the conduit, instead of
> laboriously fishing it through drywall and studs.
>
> The cool part is that you could just as easily use it to run other
> cables. If you make the conduit wide enough, you could even run
> multiple cables in the same conduit (i.e., cable TV, cat-5e, fiber
> optic, closed-circuit security cameras, etc).
>
> I highly recommend it.

In addition to conduit, which is pretty much a no-brainer if you're
looking at home automation, some companies sell wire bundles that
contain pretty much any kind of cable you'd like to network your home
with.  I'm sure it's not cheap, but it would make the wiring job much
simpler and neater.  Also consider terminating the cables at a patch
panel in a utility closet somewhere out the way, and leave room in
there for network hardware and possibly a server or two.

                --Levi