UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Feb 20 10:21:59 MST 2007

"Hill, Greg" <grhill at corp.untd.com> writes:
> Maybe things have changed; I was basing this on what everyone I've known
> who went to UVSC told me.  Also, my wife is taking Multimedia there
> right now, and pretty much all she has learned is how to use the tools
> to create multimedia.  Nothing yet about design theory or colors or
> fonts, etc, etc.  Which is fine, since that's what she wanted.  The same
> goes for people I know who took CS there.  They wanted to learn to code;
> they didn't care about theory.  So, maybe it's presumptuous, but it's
> based on a lot of examples.  Anyway, if it's changed, then I will alter
> my statement to say "UVSC as it was 5 years ago".

So, the people you talked to got exactly what they wanted out of the
program there?  Sounds like an endorsement to me.  The CNS programs
are now fairly flexible, and you can avoid scary-looking theory
courses if you want, or you can take lots of them, as I'm doing.
Perhaps things were not quite so flexible 5 years ago.  Anyway, the
classes are not as theory-heavy as the BYU ones I took, but the
information is there for the student who wants a solid foundation in
theory to take in, and the programming projects generally reinforce
understanding of it.  I find that it's a pretty good balance, though I
would prefer more theory.  It's nothing to sneer at, anyway.

                --Levi