UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Tue Feb 20 09:48:17 MST 2007

> "Hill, Greg" <grhill at corp.untd.com> writes:
> > This is all coming from someone who only went to University for only
> > year before going into a career, so maybe that skews my perception.
Not
> > having the advanced theory hasn't really hindered my ability to make
> > good money as a programmer, but I still regret not learning more of
it.
> > The practical knowledge was incredibly easy to teach myself, the
theory
> > is not.  IMO, a degree from places like UVSC is a waste of money and
> > time.  You could easily teach yourself more in less time by either
> > getting an entry-level job and working up or picking up some books
and
> > teaching yourself (or a combination of both, as I did).  If I'm
going to
> > spend thousands of dollars on something, it will be to be taught
things
> > I couldn't easily teach myself.
>
> The presumptuousness of this characterization of UVSC is staggering.
> Have you taken classes there recently?  You might try auditing one of
> the theory classes and see what you think before making these kinds of
> ridiculous statements.  Just because UVSC used to be a pure trade
> school doesn't mean it still is.  There's a huge demographic in the
> area that desires a traditional 4-year degree but doesn't want to
> commute to the U of U or deal with the difficult admissions and/or
> silly rules at BYU.  UVSC has been changing to meet that demand over
> the years.  It still has more of a practical focus, but they would not
> be able to get accreditations for the 4-year degrees without teaching
> solid theory as well.

Maybe things have changed; I was basing this on what everyone I've known
who went to UVSC told me.  Also, my wife is taking Multimedia there
right now, and pretty much all she has learned is how to use the tools
to create multimedia.  Nothing yet about design theory or colors or
fonts, etc, etc.  Which is fine, since that's what she wanted.  The same
goes for people I know who took CS there.  They wanted to learn to code;
they didn't care about theory.  So, maybe it's presumptuous, but it's
based on a lot of examples.  Anyway, if it's changed, then I will alter
my statement to say "UVSC as it was 5 years ago".

Greg