Home Automation

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Tue Feb 20 09:36:03 MST 2007

I'm not much of a home-wiring expert myself. However, when my parents
built their most recent home a few years back, they had the builder
install stiff, plastic conduit throughout the house. It all runs back to
a box in the basement. This makes running any kind of cable easy. I
wired them for Ethernet, and put their DSL modem and switch in the
basement. It was great. They have 3 rooms wired now, and it was trivial
to slip the cat-5e cable through the conduit, instead of laboriously
fishing it through drywall and studs.

The cool part is that you could just as easily use it to run other
cables. If you make the conduit wide enough, you could even run multiple
cables in the same conduit (i.e., cable TV, cat-5e, fiber optic,
closed-circuit security cameras, etc).

I highly recommend it.

--Dave