Home Automation

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Tue Feb 20 09:11:00 MST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 07:26:02AM -0800, Michael Brailsford wrote:
> I am no A/V guru, but component cables separate the signals better and provide the best possible quality and resolution.  DVI, S-Video and RCA and other connection technologies run multiple signals in the same wire and the interference degrades the signals.  This is especially true over longer cable lengths, like those you might find in a home theater room where cables typically are run the length of the room from the A/V equipment in the back of the room to the TV/Projector at the front of the room.

A couple things to note about video cables and it's technology.

Component is nice (better than S-Video and Composite (RCA)), but nothing
compared to DVI/HDMI. Component provides up to 480p resolution, while
DVI/HDMI can provide the signal needed for 1080p and higher.

In standard def land component is the best. As for signals on a single
wire, composite is the only one guilty of this. S-Video is better than
composite because it is multiple wires in one cable, and component
better still because it's one wire per cable (three cables). These are
all analog.

DVI/HDMI was designed for computer monitors. It is digital. The cables
are designed to handle interference. You can get long distance cables
that won't degrade the signal (though they might be expensive). Heck, I
have a 20-ft VGA extension cable that doesn't degrade the signal, and
DVI >> VGA.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net