Home Automation

Michael Brailsford brailsmt at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 08:26:02 MST 2007

I am no A/V guru, but component cables separate the signals better and provide the best possible quality and resolution.  DVI, S-Video and RCA and other connection technologies run multiple signals in the same wire and the interference degrades the signals.  This is especially true over longer cable lengths, like those you might find in a home theater room where cables typically are run the length of the room from the A/V equipment in the back of the room to the TV/Projector at the front of the room.

As far as wired vs. wireless.  I would do both.  Install GigE capable wiring, it will work just fine for 10/100/1000, so you can scale it up in the future as GigE hardware and network equipment come down in price.  As for the wireless, you can add that anytime.  I personally hate the bandwidth restrictions of wireless, I prefer the higher bandwidth of wired.  Just give yourself both possibilities, so as your tastes change, so can your network.

-Michael