Home Automation

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Tue Feb 20 07:28:47 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 06:26 -0700, C. Ed Felt wrote:

Just a few comments on the things I have experience with.

>      * Is "wired" cheaper than wireless?

Don't know about cost, but wired doesn't suck.  My house was built in
1986, so my home LAN is stuck with wireless.  Trust me.  Wire it.

>      * Home theater (Computer based of course - mp3, DVD caching to HDD
>        etc.).

Use HDMI or DVI for video between components and/or display devices.
With dual-link DVI you should be able to handle any resolution for the
foreseeable future.  Single-link DVI is enough for 1080p (1920x1080
@60hz), dual link allows at least twice that.  Hmm. Does HDMI allow
dual-link, or only single?  HDMI<->DVI conversion is easy with $10
cables from newegg.com.

FWIW,
Barry Roberts