dd booboo

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 15:04:39 MST 2007

--- Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:
> In situations like this, I find Darik's Boot and Nuke quite handy.
>
> http://dban.sourceforge.net/

DBAN is handy, but I don't believe it handles external firewire or
USB drives, and you need to make sure that any drives you *don't*
want destroyed are disconnected while it runs.

For wiping a single drive, particularly an external drive, I'd use
shred instead.  It's part of the GNU Coreutils package, so it's
already on most Linux systems and it's readily available in the
FreeBSD ports tree (but will be named "gshred" on FreeBSD).