subversion question

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Feb 18 16:23:16 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 13:22 -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> svnadmin dump /svn/repo | svndumpfilter include path/ > dump.svn
>
> Unfortunately that won't trim the path for you but after importing it
> into the other repository you can move it.

Cool.  That's what I did and it worked great.  There is only one problem
with svndumpfilter, and it is acknowledged on the svn lists as a fatal
flaw in svndumpfilter.  That is that it cannot deal with a directory
that was renamed mid-stream.  So my folder might have started out life
as /foo but was later renamed (svn mv) to /projects/foo.  svndumpfilter
just cannot deal with that as it only scans the dump stream forward, not
backwards.  A complete redesign would be required to do that.  Hopefully
some day such a tool will be invented as it is essential for grabbing
just one folder and all its revisions out of a repository.

Michael