dd booboo

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Feb 17 15:16:56 MST 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 14:47 -0700, Daniel wrote:
> I did "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1" to an external 4+GB drive, then
> unplugged it.  I plugged it back in and now I can't see it. Did I make
> that drive a paper weight?

No, it should be fine.  Watch the log files as you plug it in
(/var/log/messages).  I know that sometimes if you unplug the USB cord
while data is flowing, the kernel goes into kind of a funny state and
won't recognize the device until you reboot.

There is one usb/ide adapter I saw the other day that people claim can
wreck the disk if you don't turn off the power before unplugging the usb
cord from the computer.  Poor design, that one.

Michael