dd booboo

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Feb 17 15:16:56 MST 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 14:47 -0700, Daniel wrote:
> I did "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1" to an external 4+GB drive, then
> unplugged it.  I plugged it back in and now I can't see it. Did I make
> that drive a paper weight?

No, it should be fine.  Watch the log files as you plug it in
(/var/log/messages).  I know that sometimes if you unplug the USB cord
while data is flowing, the kernel goes into kind of a funny state and
won't recognize the device until you reboot.

There is one usb/ide adapter I saw the other day that people claim can
wreck the disk if you don't turn off the power before unplugging the usb
cord from the computer.  Poor design, that one.