UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Justin Findlay justin at jfindlay.us
Fri Feb 16 18:33:22 MST 2007

On AD 2007 February 16 Friday 04:04:40 PM -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Just where is the obvious separation between theory and practice in
> physics?  I'm not understanding your argument that computer science is
> different.  I mean, the only reason particle accelerators exist is to
> do physics, but that doesn't make physics theory any more or less
> practical.  Computers can be used as tools in computer science, but
> they are just about exactly as important to computer science as
> particle accelerators are to particle physicists or telescopes are to
> astronomers.

To further the confusion here hard science (physics, chemistry, biology)
use very sophisticated modeling software to help prototype new models in
increasingly complex sciences.  After all science is just a bunch of
models.  If you have a language to express those models in you can write
down all the knowledge of that science.  That is one of the reasons why
the computer is so important to the practice of science.

Justin