UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Feb 16 16:19:03 MST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 at 14:01 -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> writes:
> > Which is why Computer Scientists code, because code is basically an
> > expression of that thought. This is where the confusion comes from:
> > physicists generally don't build the stuff they dream up (they do of
> > course do experiments), so nobdoy confuses them with engineers.
>
> Actually, a pretty good chunk of money goes into physics research so
> they can build gigantic particle accelerators, huge radio telescopes,
> and other equipment so they can test their theories at both ends of
> the size spectrum.  I don't know exactly what 'stuff they dream up'
> was originally being referred to, but a theory in Physics isn't
> usually worth much at all until it's been demonstrated to correspond
> with something in the real world.

Ok, I knew that wouldn't come across right. Physicists do of course
build very expensive toys. But wait, they don't build them. They design
them and hire other people to build them. I said "stuff they dream up"
because I have no idea what current research in physics is. But whatever
it is, it's not directly applicable to our lives. It takes an engineer
(or someone who's both an engineer and a physicist) to bridge the gap
from science to practice.

CS is less physical than physics, definitely more mathematical. Is CS a
misnomer? Should we rather be called Computer Mathematics? Perhaps. But
the point is the same. CS involves coding in the same way physics
involves building particle accelerators. Web programming and business
logic programming is the equivalent of making flashlights and crowbars
(which depend on principles of physics).

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach