UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Feb 16 16:04:40 MST 2007

"Daniel C." <dcrookston at gmail.com> writes:
> It's not confusion, it's my point.  In physics, there's an obvious
> separation between theory and practice.  In Comp Sci, the only thing
> computers exist for is to run programs, so I have a really hard time
> understanding how someone can say "Well I'm just studying the SCIENCE
> of Computers, but I'm not learning how to program."  As if studying
> Computer Science is an elite intellectual enterprise fit for mahogany
> paneled rooms in the Halls of Academia, while mere trade school
> graduates are grease monkeys who are not fit to participate in
> Computer Science.

Just where is the obvious separation between theory and practice in
physics?  I'm not understanding your argument that computer science is
different.  I mean, the only reason particle accelerators exist is to
do physics, but that doesn't make physics theory any more or less
practical.  Computers can be used as tools in computer science, but
they are just about exactly as important to computer science as
particle accelerators are to particle physicists or telescopes are to
astronomers.

                --Levi