UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 15:50:13 MST 2007

On 2/16/07, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> Which is why Computer Scientists code, because code is basically an
> expression of that thought. This is where the confusion comes from:

It's not confusion, it's my point.  In physics, there's an obvious
separation between theory and practice.  In Comp Sci, the only thing
computers exist for is to run programs, so I have a really hard time
understanding how someone can say "Well I'm just studying the SCIENCE
of Computers, but I'm not learning how to program."  As if studying
Computer Science is an elite intellectual enterprise fit for mahogany
paneled rooms in the Halls of Academia, while mere trade school
graduates are grease monkeys who are not fit to participate in
Computer Science.

May have gone just a teensie bit overboard there...