UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Mister E Mister.Ed at AgoraCart.com
Fri Feb 16 14:53:26 MST 2007

Levi Pearson wrote:
> "Hill, Greg" <grhill at corp.untd.com> writes:
>> This is all coming from someone who only went to University for only a
>> year before going into a career, so maybe that skews my perception.  Not
>> having the advanced theory hasn't really hindered my ability to make
>> good money as a programmer, but I still regret not learning more of it.
>> The practical knowledge was incredibly easy to teach myself, the theory
>> is not.  IMO, a degree from places like UVSC is a waste of money and
>> time.  You could easily teach yourself more in less time by either
>> getting an entry-level job and working up or picking up some books and
>> teaching yourself (or a combination of both, as I did).  If I'm going to
>> spend thousands of dollars on something, it will be to be taught things
>> I couldn't easily teach myself.
>
> The presumptuousness of this characterization of UVSC is staggering.
> Have you taken classes there recently?  You might try auditing one of
> the theory classes and see what you think before making these kinds of
> ridiculous statements.  Just because UVSC used to be a pure trade
> school doesn't mean it still is.  There's a huge demographic in the
> area that desires a traditional 4-year degree but doesn't want to
> commute to the U of U or deal with the difficult admissions and/or
> silly rules at BYU.  UVSC has been changing to meet that demand over
> the years.  It still has more of a practical focus, but they would not
> be able to get accreditations for the 4-year degrees without teaching
> solid theory as well.

   I think a lot of this conversation is silly.  I find it amusing
reading comments from people patting themselves on the back for
obtaining a degree and/or attending a particular institution of higher
learning.  An institution can only "institutionalize" your patterns
according to their preferred method set.

Being one that has attended BYU and UVSC, as well as other schools such
as: SLCC, UTC -the precursor to UVSC, UCLA, UCR - UC Riverside, and MIT;
I think you cannot claim BYU to be significantly better than UVSC,
except in the matter of expressing pride in your Alma Mater.  I've
actually come away with more useful knowledge sets from UVSC than that
of BY-ZoobieVille.

Great thinkers can learn theory outside of the lab-rat environment, but
it is all relative to the motivation of the individual.  Great thinking
can be self-learned as well.  I have yet to find an institution that can
truly make me think any better ... they can only "train" me in their
methods or frames of reference in doing so.

I'll agree with some comments about the arrogance of some graduates
locally, when they are seeking a position.  I prefer to interact and
hire those with heart for the art, not with those folks grandstanding
the presumption of intellectualism.  Nor will I waste my money on the
later.  The science allows for the expression of the art, no matter how
mundane the task... I believe we all take pride in seeing our work
coming to life, no matter how small the project or code snippet (ie: hey
I did that! or, hey, I helped on that!).

Mister Ed