UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Feb 16 14:29:16 MST 2007

"Daniel C." <dcrookston at gmail.com> writes:
> I would argue that you can't learn to code without learning the
> reasoning behind it to some extent.  That learning to code and
> learning the theory behind your code goes hand in hand - you can't
> learn one without also learning the other.  Since code and the ideas
> behind it are so closely joined, you shouldn't be able to learn a
> theory without it's application in code being transparent.

You can learn the theory of computation (lambda calculus, recursive
functions, automata, etc.) without any code at all.  Much of it was
discovered by mathematicians before computers as we know them existed.
Certainly you must have some sort of algorithmic notation to do
complexity analysis, but it neither requires a practical programming
language nor a computer.  How about the entire field of quantum
computing?  Your perspective on what Computer Science is seems to be
skewed towards programming, but although the two are closely related
and certainly overlap to some extent, Computer Science does not
absolutely require computers at all, and one could easily go and
research areas of CS with no immediate practical application to
programming.

                --Levi