Java

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Feb 16 14:17:02 MST 2007

Bryan Sant wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
>> The Java culture stops me.  When I write Java code, I am a member of the
>> Java community and must behave as one, even if I disagree with some of
>> the practices.
>
> You do understand your civil rights correct?  You don't *have* to do
> anything.  I highly doubt that if you created a new class and named a
> method to_a instead of toArray, that the Java community Secret Service
> would come a break your legs.  There are widely accepted (and good)
> standards in the Java world, but the compiler isn't forcing that on
> you.  If you like short names, use short names.

Nope.  If I want to work where I'm working, I will use existing Java
conventions.  If I want to use more flexible conventions, I will have to
work somewhere else.

Anyway, I'm glad you're looking into other languages.  Personally, after
spending a lot of time writing C++ and Java, it took me a long time to
understand the value of what other languages had to offer.  On the
surface, different languages simply offer different feature sets, but I
see now that there's a lot more to it.  Each language makes you think in
a different way, and frequently the manner of thinking matters more than
the features.  Unfortunately, it's very difficult to express a manner of
thinking, so you can only experience it for yourself.

Shane