UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 14:16:22 MST 2007

On 2/16/07, Alex Esplin <alex.esplin at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to learn to write code you go to ITT or whatever tech
> school has a less painful, less long program and learn how to
> write code.

> The idea behind learning Computer Science ... is that if you
> learn to think about computing and why we do things the way
> we do, and learn how to code as you do so you are
> prepared to solve new problems by applying the theory.

I would argue that you can't learn to code without learning the
reasoning behind it to some extent.  That learning to code and
learning the theory behind your code goes hand in hand - you can't
learn one without also learning the other.  Since code and the ideas
behind it are so closely joined, you shouldn't be able to learn a
theory without it's application in code being transparent.

Which brings us back to "Why say that you're studying Computer
Science, with capital letters, when the science and application are so
closely joined that you can't have one without the other"?  Unless
you've got math envy and secretly wish you were there instead of here.