UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Feb 16 14:01:07 MST 2007

Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> writes:
> Which is why Computer Scientists code, because code is basically an
> expression of that thought. This is where the confusion comes from:
> physicists generally don't build the stuff they dream up (they do of
> course do experiments), so nobdoy confuses them with engineers.

Actually, a pretty good chunk of money goes into physics research so
they can build gigantic particle accelerators, huge radio telescopes,
and other equipment so they can test their theories at both ends of
the size spectrum.  I don't know exactly what 'stuff they dream up'
was originally being referred to, but a theory in Physics isn't
usually worth much at all until it's been demonstrated to correspond
with something in the real world.

Mathematicians, on the other hand... well, they're more concerned with
the abstract world of algebras and symbol manipulation.  Which, oddly
enough, is what Computer Scientists tend to be concerned about.  It's
almost like Computer Science is a branch of Math!  Wow, could CS
really be less about interacting with the real world than Physics?

                --Levi