UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Feb 16 13:51:43 MST 2007

"Hill, Greg" <grhill at corp.untd.com> writes:
> This is all coming from someone who only went to University for only a
> year before going into a career, so maybe that skews my perception.  Not
> having the advanced theory hasn't really hindered my ability to make
> good money as a programmer, but I still regret not learning more of it.
> The practical knowledge was incredibly easy to teach myself, the theory
> is not.  IMO, a degree from places like UVSC is a waste of money and
> time.  You could easily teach yourself more in less time by either
> getting an entry-level job and working up or picking up some books and
> teaching yourself (or a combination of both, as I did).  If I'm going to
> spend thousands of dollars on something, it will be to be taught things
> I couldn't easily teach myself.

The presumptuousness of this characterization of UVSC is staggering.
Have you taken classes there recently?  You might try auditing one of
the theory classes and see what you think before making these kinds of
ridiculous statements.  Just because UVSC used to be a pure trade
school doesn't mean it still is.  There's a huge demographic in the
area that desires a traditional 4-year degree but doesn't want to
commute to the U of U or deal with the difficult admissions and/or
silly rules at BYU.  UVSC has been changing to meet that demand over
the years.  It still has more of a practical focus, but they would not
be able to get accreditations for the 4-year degrees without teaching
solid theory as well.

             --Levi