UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Feb 16 13:42:13 MST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 at 13:09 -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> >For the same reason that we have physicists, biologists, chemists, etc.
> >(theoretical) and engineers
> >(practical).
>
> Except that in physics, you can theorize something that you can't put
> into practice.  With computers, if you can theorize about something,
> you can also sit down and write a program that implements the theory
> almost as easily as you can theorize about it.  Insert quote from Fred
> Brooks about programmers working very closely with pure ideas.

Which is why Computer Scientists code, because code is basically an
expression of that thought. This is where the confusion comes from:
physicists generally don't build the stuff they dream up (they do of
course do experiments), so nobdoy confuses them with engineers.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach