UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 13:33:13 MST 2007

On 2/16/07, Mark Higbee <mark at impactprocessing.com> wrote:
> I think the real point of going to a college or university is to get the
> skills you need to find a good job.
> If the college can't teach you any real skills then it is useless in my
> opinion.  My experience with BYU was you go to school to learn how to
> learn on your own, since most of the professors have no real world
> working experience.  Those who can do and those who can't teach.
> Besides anyone that is any good in CS is not going to settle for a
> professor's salary.

I find myself a little bit annoyed by this kind of blind generalization.

I don't know what professors you took classes from, but the professors
I have had so far have very applicable "real world working
experience".  And there is a big difference between the statement
"anyone that is any good in CS is not going to settle for a
professor's salary" and the perhaps more applicable, less blindly
generalizing statement "any one that is any good at writing code is
not going to settle for a professor's salary".

The fact that most of the work a professor did in the "real world" was
in C instead of the languages that are much more widely used now does
not mean that he is "no good in CS".

If you want the skills to find a good job become an apprentice, or go
to a trade school.  If you want to learn how to learn, and how the
past applies to the present and future go to a university.  And
regardless, try teaching something that you don't understand.

--
Alex Esplin