UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Feb 16 13:31:44 MST 2007

Roberto Mello <rmello at fslc.usu.edu> writes:
> I think the gist of this thread is that UVSC's CS program is more like
> that of a technical school (more of whatever-is-current-in-the-industry)
> versus BYU's more focused on theory program.
>
> There are colleges that teach exclusively the latest Java 9 and .NET 6.0
> and nothing else. That's one end of the spectrum. The other end teaches only
> theory and nothing really currently practical.

I want to clarify that UVSC's program does indeed have a track that
teaches CS theory.  It's not focused on to the extent that BYU focuses
on it, but a student who wishes to get a solid grasp of undergraduate
CS theory can definitely find the resources to do it at UVSC.  The
theory is further reinforced by significant programming projects that
require its use.  Furthermore, although the early classes still tend
to be a bit Windows-centric, a fairly wide range of languages is
taught and many later classes allow students to use whatever language
they wish.  I've turned in assignments in D, OCaml, Scheme, Scala,
C++, F#, and Java.

Of course, like any school, you get out of it what you put in.  If I
didn't go in intending to learn a lot, I probably wouldn't.

> I think it's kind of silly that students expect universities to teach them
> the latest .NET gadgets. If that's what they want to do, shouldn't they
> learn that on their own with the theoretical base they're getting at
> school?

Amen.

                --Levi