MUD Server Logic Control?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Feb 16 13:16:56 MST 2007

Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> writes:
> #1 Configuration of server options, (Listen to port 666 etc)
> #2 Rules Logic (Player A stabs Player B for 100!)
> #3 Server Status Monitoring and Reporting (I'ld like to have a
> terminal that I can get to remotely, and use as an interpreted
> environment)

My advice would be to implement everything you can in a scripting
language, and move things to C++ when you need especially high
performance.  Lua is probably a good choice, considering it's fairly
popular in the game programming world and has a very nice virtual
machine.  Its semantics are also fairly close to Scheme's, though IIRC
it uses hashes as its fundamental data type rather than lists.

The MUD systems I'm most familiar with, MOO and Cold, are both pretty
much just virtual machines geared towards making MUDs.  MOO does more
in C and less in its scripting language, while Cold does pretty much
only language primitives and connection multiplexing in C and
everything else in ColdC, which makes it very flexible.  It's also
(last time I checked) way faster than LambdaMOO and has a much nicer
language.

                --Levi