UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Feb 16 12:26:14 MST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 at 12:20 -0700, Mark Higbee wrote:
> I think the real point of going to a college or university is to get the
> skills you need to find a good job.

I think the point of going to a university is to get an education. If
you just want skills there are cheaper faster and less painful ways to
get them.

> If the college can't teach you any real skills then it is useless in my
> opinion.  My experience with BYU was you go to school to learn how to
> learn on your own, since most of the professors have no real world
> working experience.

Regardless of the truth of those statements (I don't believe they are
true), there is arguably no better skill than knowing how to learn on
your own.

> Those who can do and those who can't teach.

That's a fun little jab thought up by people who can't do either.

> Besides anyone that is any good in CS is not going to settle for a
> professor's salary.

False by counterexample. Maybe you should be asking yourself why some
people who are very good at CS _do_ settle for a professor's salary.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach