UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Fri Feb 16 12:26:14 MST 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 11:50:42AM -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> >If you're interested in a good university education in Computer
> >_Science_
>
> I've always been confused about the motivation for learning pure
> _Science_, especially when dealing with something like computers.
> What's the point of learning theory if you don't know how to apply it?
> So you can get a job teaching theory to other people, who will go on
> to get jobs teaching theory...?

First, it is important to remember that Computer Science still teaches
you how to code. A lot of it is how to code up solutions to problems
present in your theory classes. The BYU program certainly gives you
opportunity to apply the theory in projects and classes.

With that said, I've personally found that as I learn more theory I
become a better programmer. After learning Scheme I suddenly found a new
way to look at problems. A lot of times that approach results in better,
cleaner, and more efficient code. A class in digital signal processing
gave me valuable experience applying programming skills and techniques
that I wouldn't have found elsewhere.

Theory is what drives good program design. There are good reasons for
the way we do things, and by understanding them we can see how to best
expand and extend the ideas. While a lot of people may not put the
connection together, those who do, in my opinion, are going to be better
problem solves and programmers.

That's my 2 cents.

--
Scott Paul Robertson