UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Fri Feb 16 11:58:19 MST 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 02:12:18PM -0700, jordy wrote:

> I assure you (as a graduate) that UVSC's placement program also sucks.  :)
>
> One factor that hasn't been mentioned is that UVSC focuses on
> *marketable* degrees.  IE, you don't see people majoring in Historical
> Russian Liturature at UVSC.

I think the gist of this thread is that UVSC's CS program is more like
that of a technical school (more of whatever-is-current-in-the-industry)
versus BYU's more focused on theory program.

There are colleges that teach exclusively the latest Java 9 and .NET 6.0
and nothing else. That's one end of the spectrum. The other end teaches only
theory and nothing really currently practical.

I think it's kind of silly that students expect universities to teach them
the latest .NET gadgets. If that's what they want to do, shouldn't they
learn that on their own with the theoretical base they're getting at
school?

-Roberto

--
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was.