UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Tom Hanks tjhanks at forgeglobal.com
Fri Feb 16 11:10:41 MST 2007

In the initial interview, whether by phone or in person, the perspective
employee who communicates the following is most likely going to be among
the lead candidates.  Once you are in the lead, negotiation for money
can begin.  Make them want you first, then make them pay for it.

1. I want to work.
2. This is what I have done and this is what I can do for you.
3. I want to do the job you are interviewing me for.
4. I want to work for your company and this is why.

Conversely, if the main message you pass along to the interviewer is, 'I
can do this job left handed blindfolded, how much are you going to pay
me', then you are in trouble.  While the statement of your ability may
be true, the cavalier attitude and arrogance that would accompany such a
message will "Shoot you in the foot."

Everyone knows that you are seeking employment to be paid.  That is a
forgone conclusion.  Instead, the perspective employee should be focused
on convincing the employer that they are the right person for the job.

I have never failed obtaining a job where I came out of the interview
having communicated those listed messages and I have always received at
least what I was expecting for pay, or more.

A high school Social Studies teacher passed along this nugget of wisdom
to me, "whenever the question of what salary you are expecting comes up
on an application, or during an interview, always state that you are
negotiable."  Let them make the offer first before negotiating.  If the
offer isn't what you expected, be direct and tell them.  The fact that
they made the offer is clear they want to hire you and they are trying
to figure out what they can get you hired for.  They won't let go of you
until they have made their very highest offer and you turn it down.

Regarding the aforementioned interview experiences, I don't believe for
one second that every BYU student will interview the same.  But after
dozens of such interviews with BYU students it makes one wonder whether
they have been taught proper job hunting and interviewing techniques, or
if it is bred into BYU students that they should expect to be paid HIGH
salaries upon graduation and therefore have spent years dreaming about
all the money they are going to make, then they come off a little too
eager with the "How much are you going to pay me" attitude.  Based on
additional comments in this conversation string, it is most likely the
former.  It is my hope, as a BYU alumn that the confidence of BYU grads
will remain, even improve, and especially that each will be more fully
trained in finding and obtaining work.  I'd like to see my alma mater in
the top of such statistics.

~Tom