UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Michael Brailsford brailsmt at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 10:16:40 MST 2007

I have to agree with Hans.  I think BYU's CS program is excellent.  I, at least, learned far more than most of my colleagues.  When we swap stories about projects and things we did in our classes, they are constantly amazed at the breadth of concepts we covered.  I have spoken with people from very good engineering universities, Missouri - Rolla, for example (Don't laugh, look it up).  The education I received is very similar.  The projects at BYU far outstrip many of the projects my coworkers had to do.  I mention to them that we wrote our own networking stack at BYU, or own FAT12 filesystem, our own RPC, our own graphics processing engine from the pixel and scanline level up to 3D rotations, a Linux Kernel scheduler, Linux system call, modula-like compiler, etc...  Well you get the idea.  They always ask, "You did all that?  I wish <insert university> did that with us.  All we did was small projects and one senior project".  I have had interviewers remark that they have worked with X number of engineers from BYU and they were some of the best they have ever worked with.  I simply do not share the view that BYU is somehow a poor CS program that ill prepares its students as software engineers.  BYU CS program is very fertile ground.  The professors are open to letting us do those tangential things which Hans mentioned.  I did nearly all my projects on Linux, eschewing the ready made helper libs that only worked on Windows, my grades might have taken a hit, but I learned a great deal more.  The vast majority of the engineers here never used anything other than Windows for their projects, and some were actively discouraged from using Linux, apart from their one semester course on Unix.  Stop giving BYU an undeserved hard time.  Its CS program is excellent.  If you were ill prepared while at BYU, I think you need to do a little introspection.  If you just went through the motions, just doing the minimum to complete a project/assignment, then you would have a poor education from any university, despite probably having great grades.  You would be ill prepared no matter where you went.

I think BYU did a poor job encouraging students to do internships with employers.  I think they did a poor job helping with placement.  I think they poorly prepared me to search for a job.  But they did an excellent job teaching me what I need to know to succeed in my chosen field (once I got in).

-Michael