UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Fri Feb 16 02:13:25 MST 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 12:46:59PM -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> It is relatively easy to graduate from BYU without any real experience.
> They take the department name seriously: Computer _Science_. Not
> Software Engineering. Not Computer Programming.
>
> Maybe BYU is a good place to prepare for graduate school if you take the
> time get to know your professors. I don't know. Nearly everything I know
> and use now as a programmer and trainer, I learned while avoiding my
> homework.
>
> Don't get me wrong, there are some good professors and useful classes in
> the BYU CS program, but not nearly so many as there should be. I won't
> pretend to know the complete solution, but in part BYU would benefit
> from more professors with industry experience.

I'm actually graduating in CS in April from BYU. These days there are
a few ways to graduate, some are heavy in the theory and some are more
practical.

They still take CS as a Science. If you want server administration you
go to the IT department.

However, next fall a number of new courses will be finalized. They're
actually doing a major overhaul of the required core classes and adding
a few to make it a little more of a software engineering mix. To give
you an idea, I did the following core classes:
4 architecture (low-level and OS) courses.
2 general programming (intro and a slightly more advanced one)
5 theory (ranging from ones where you mostly code the concepts, to one with
no code at all)

The new program core is like so:
2 architecture (basic low-level and OS)
1 web-based programming (build a web-server to web-apps)
2 general programming
1 software engineering
5 theory

You still have a number of electives. Depending on your choices you can
do a lot of software engineering, or prep yourself for grad school.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net