UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 20:55:09 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, Ryan Byrd <ryanbyrd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Irrespective of your reasons for working, a job interview is a negotiation.
> How much money you end up working for largely depends on your actions during
> that exercise. If you want to be employed for peanuts in order to convince
> others that you definitely don't work for money, that's certainly a
> prerogative. Plus, it frees up money for the rest of us.

When I interviewed for my current job, I told my then-future employer
that given my inexperience I would work for free for a couple of weeks
until I learned what was going on.  We had a good laugh, and when I
told my wife she growled a little about needing to pay the bills, but
I was serious.

I learned long ago that the best way to learn something is to do it
for free.  This serves several purposes, not the least of which is
convincing yourself that you really want to do it.  There is nothing
like not getting paid for your work to really determine if that is the
work you really want to do.  The knowledge that the better you learn
the more likely you are to get paid and paid well is also there.

--
Alex Esplin