looking for laptop

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Feb 15 20:27:28 MST 2007

Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> writes:
> Being proprietary is not the problem.  It's that it's proprietary.

Um, what?

> I don't like proprietary software for the same reason I don't like
> any mandatory curtailing of my freedom.  Proprietary software is
> designed to serve the interests of the company who sells it, not
> mine.

No, proprietary software is designed to serve the interests of the
customers of the company who sells it.  Otherwise, why would they buy
it?  Clearly it also serves their need to make money, but that
wouldn't happen if there were no customers.  Free software, on the
other hand, is often also designed to serve the interests of the
companies who employ the programmers that work on it.  I would argue
that there is often less of a need to serve the interests of outside
users, since they have a pretty big argument for their product already
in its price.

If you think lone hackers are writing all your free software in their
spare time, you are sorely mistaken.  Now, I wouldn't mind if all
software provided source code, but I'm more concerned with having
software that meets my needs, and quite often proprietary software
simply does that better because they've got a financial motivation to
do so.  And there is no sin in that, for me or the software vendor.

                --Levi