I want to learn a new language...

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Feb 15 17:45:05 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 17:17 -0700, Eric Wald wrote:
> My biggest beef with Ruby is its conditional expression.  Seriously, any
> language in which the number zero is *true* deserves a slap in the face.

It takes some getting used to, but I promise you'll be thankful for it
after awhile. Remember, Ruby != C. Ruby is closer to Perl. You don't
notice how much you have to compensate for 0 == false until you come
back from a language where it isn't. Having used Ruby for awhile, it now
annoys me that Perl considers 0 false. After all, it could just as
easily use () where Ruby uses nil.

> Second-biggest beef: Everyday code snippets, those used as examples of
> its expressiveness and power even, use crazy symbols that mean nothing
> to the outside observer.  I had to dig to figure out what the @ symbols
> were doing, and the pipes around the block argument list aren't exactly
> intuitive.

Cry me a river. Brace delimited blocks would look strange to someone
that only uses Python. for(i=0; i<foo; i++) would look strange to
someone that only uses foreach loops. It's considered a different
language for a reason.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill