I want to learn a new language...

Mike Heath mheath at apache.org
Thu Feb 15 15:38:30 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:
> > I have never seen a good paying PHP job.  The companies that primarily
> > use PHP also tend to think $40k is a good developer salary.  So,
> > learning PHP for career development is self-defeating.  You'll get stuck
> > forever in low-paying jobs using a poorly-designed language.  Sounds
> > like hell to me.
> >

> I would normally agree, but recently I saw a PHP job paying $55+.  But
> then again, i do not know what your scale is for "good paying".

If you think $55/year is good pay, you're not giving yourself enough
credit.  Most of the developers I know make more than $80K/year and
quite a few of them are in the 6 figures range.

All the developers I know that are making 6 figures are Java
developers which is weird.  According to this mailing list, Java is a
pretty crappy language.  It's strange that so many very profitable
companies use it and pay their developers so well.