I want to learn a new language...

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 15:32:15 MST 2007

I disagree with you there.
I've been keeping my eye on the various job openings (although not
nessecarily local), and it seems the going rate for a Java programmer
is about $80k (with several years exeperience), the going rate for a
PHP programmer is roughly $55k.
However there seems to be a strong demand for Java programmers who
"know PHP" and PHP programmers who know Java.  I see those jobs going
in the $125k range.

That said though, jobs in Utah in general, but especially Utah County,
tend to be very low paying compared to pretty much anywhere else.
I see a ton of jobs going in the $35 - $45k range and have even seen
an ad lately in the newspapers for a C++ programmer with 4+yrs
experience going for $12 per hour!