I want to learn a new language...

Mike Heath mheath at apache.org
Thu Feb 15 15:20:51 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 14:53 -0700, Mike Heath wrote:
> > PHP is "good" for web development the same way that VB is "good" for
> > GUI development.  They're the fast food of software development.
>
> That's a bunch of BS.

How is this BS?  I never said either was bad or shouldn't be used.
Both are great for quick applications just like fast food is great for
satisfying your appetite when you're in a hurry.

In my experience, neither one is well suited for large projects with
many developers.  For building more than trivial applications, I think
there are other languages that have much better frameworks than what
is available with PHP.

If you want to move up the pay scale, PHP is not the way to do it.  If
you want to move up the pay scale in the food industry, flipping
burgers is not the way to do it either.  Both can get you through
college though.