I want to learn a new language...

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Feb 15 15:20:34 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 14:09 -0800, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> It's okay to have a soft spot in your heart for PHP because it was your
> first exposure to web dev or whatever.  I have the same nostalgia for
> Turbo Pascal.  But don't confuse that with thinking that PHP is actually
> a good language.

State the reasons why PHP is not a good language.

I'll start:

- no variable declarations
- non-secure legacy stuff is often enabled by default ($postvars for ex)

Of course #2 is not an issue anymore and #1 is moot because all the good
languages seem to have this feature too.

Reasons why VB6 sucks
- Overly verbose
- Not truly compiled
- Has object-oriented syntax, but is not object-oriented
- no pointers
- variable declaration is optional

Of course VB.net fixes almost all of these points, although some are
merely personal preference.

So if your reasons for saying php is a bad language come from your own
personal preferences, then we can't say php sucks.  I dislike Java
strongly for various reasons, but they are almost all mostly personal
preferences.  Therefore I cannot say Java sucks with any authority.