I want to learn a new language...

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 15:08:48 MST 2007

> Just curious but why was PHP not brought up in the debate?
> It's widely used, relatively respectable language, and there seems to
> be a hot market right now for PHP programmers, add that to the Java
> skills and your talking a pretty good paying job.
>
> Just my 2c
>
> Regards,

Fair question.  I have no problem with PHP itself and I should dabble
a little bit with it too (just to know some).  But I'll retract my
comment about not caring about the community of the language.  My
feeling is that the PHP community is primarily composed of
beginner/sloppy developers.  There is no rails equivalent (or really a
strong demand for intelligent MVC frameworks from its users) to my
knowledge.  And PHP is nearly as slow as Ruby without being nearly as
cool of a language (in my opinion).

So PHP is slower than Python and Perl, less useful for non-web tasks
than the alternatives, and marbled with crappy code examples/libraries
from hack-it-out-quickly I-promise-I'm-a-coder-not-a-designer novice
types.

I don't doubt there are great PHP developers, and great libraries --
just as VB had a few great developers and libs.  But I think I'll find
more quality with the other languages.

If I didn't know Java, I would swallow my pride and learn what would
compensate me well (as you've accurately described).  But, because I'm
at the top of the food chain in the market demand department, I have
the luxury of picking an interesting and technically sound 2nd
language.

This whole email is crazy harsh and probably the typical tripe you
deal with day-in-and-day-out with PHP.  I'm willing to admit I may be
completely wrong about PHP.  Help me see the light.

-Bryan