I want to learn a new language...

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Feb 15 15:03:16 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 14:53 -0700, Mike Heath wrote:
> PHP is "good" for web development the same way that VB is "good" for
> GUI development.  They're the fast food of software development.

That's a bunch of BS, frankly.  PHP may have quirks that lend itself
well to bad programming, but so do many other languages.  I may not much
like php anymore myself, but that still doesn't make your assertion
true.

Furthermore there's nothing wrong with using VB for app development if
you chose to do so.  Frankly it did for windows what the plethora of
good scripting languages has done for linux.  It (for better or worse)
made programming accessible again.  One could, in fact, write a good
clean app in VB6 if he chose.  Of course VB.net is now as technically
good as C#, although many people dislike VB simply for the verbose
keyword set.  Some like the curly braces!

Now the ratio of good php (or vb) apps to bad isn't so great, granted.
Whether to blame the language for the programmer's mistakes is an
ongoing (as we see here on this list) debate.

Michael

P.S. vim is the superior editor.