I want to learn a new language...

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 15:02:30 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> Nay, not so.  PHP is a good general-domain language.

PHP *can* be used as a general-domain language.  However it was
developed to be a web development language, and was hacked into other
domains later.

PHP is the language I know best.  I use it all the time to develop web
pages, and I have used it in the past to do other things - shell
scripts, text file parsing, even billing scripts that were run by a
cron job.

But because a language is capable of doing these things does not make
it "good" at doing them, and certainly doesn't make it the best
choice.

Dan