I want to learn a new language...

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Feb 15 15:02:00 MST 2007

Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> writes:
> This is because blocks are almost never passed as parameters but as a
> block following the method call. Incidentally, you can wrap up a block
> with lambda/proc or even pass a method, as any parameter you want, and
> then yield it (or call it) explicitly. They're not really relegated to
> only the last position.

Are blocks almost never used that way because the language makes it
more awkward to do it that way, or because no one would want to do it?
I think Smalltalk is evidence for the former.  And I did understand
that you could use blocks and procs and all that stuff in other
positions, but it comes at a syntactic price, and it doesn't seem to
be done very often.

> If you vote for Ruby, all your wildest dreams will come true.

I will undoubtedly be learning Ruby myself at some point, but for
someone like Bryan, I don't know if it's the best choice.  Certainly
not a bad one, though.

                --Levi