looking for laptop

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Thu Feb 15 14:46:19 MST 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 14:18, Hill, Greg wrote:
> Well, you are paying for OS:X, but mostly you're just paying inflated
> prices because Apple can get away with it, being the only vendor
> providing hardware for their OS.  Equivalently spec'ed machines will
> cost 30-50% more to have the Apple name on them (I did this the other
> day, the PC branded laptops were ~$1500 compared to a ~$2200 Apple -
> same processor, memory, video card, hard drive space, screen size).

My brother and I get in this debate a lot (we're both very cheap, just not as
notorious as the fugal's).  This topic also came up here at work as we were
comparing hardware on this years machine purchases.  If you look around the
office (for those not knowing, we work together) and you will see some folks
with new Dell laptops, and some with MBPro's.  Both have extremely similar
specs, the Dell actually has a higher resolution on the screen.  The Dell was
quite a bit cheaper, especially with our corporate deal.  But sit the two
down next to each other and compare how they run.  Then compare the looks,
the weight, the battery life, etc.  It's been interesting to see the
difference, outside just the OS difference ( windows, linux, and osx on the
different machines).  We really have seen a difference in how they run.

--
Jayce^