looking for laptop

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Feb 15 14:39:19 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 13:18 -0800, Hill, Greg wrote:
> Well, you are paying for OS:X, but mostly you're just paying inflated
> prices because Apple can get away with it, being the only vendor
> providing hardware for their OS.

I've yet to see any proof of this.  Besides, Apple only charges what the
market will bear.

> Equivalently spec'ed machines will
> cost 30-50% more to have the Apple name on them (I did this the other
> day, the PC branded laptops were ~$1500 compared to a ~$2200 Apple -
> same processor, memory, video card, hard drive space, screen size).

I beg to differ.  An equivalently configured Dell, for example, costs
anywhere from -$100 to more than the Apple.

Sure you can get a cheap, low-end laptop that has pretty good specs, but
by the time to add in the things that apple has you find the prices are
very competitive.  Most of the time when someone shows me what they
think is an equivalent laptop, we find that the processor is not the
same (say 1.8 instead of 2 gHz), the ram is not the same, hard drive
size, computer weight, peripheral expansion features, etc are all not
quite up to the apple level.  Now not everyone needs a fully-loaded
laptop, which is pretty much what Apple sells (in the MacBook Pro line
anyway).  Even on the middle-end, the MacBook is pretty comparable.

Michael